Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Saint Peters afflicted mynde

If that the sicke may grone
    Or orphane mourne his losse
If wounded wretch may rue his harmes
    Or caytif show his Crosse
If hart consum'd with Care [5]
    May utter signs of payne
Then may my brest be sorowes home
    And tongue with cause complayne
My Malidye is sinne
    And languor of the mynde [10]
My body but a lazars couche
    Wherein my soule is pynde
The care of heavenly kynne
    Is ded to my reliefe
Forlorne and left like orphane child [15]
    With sighes I feede my greife
My woundes with mortall smarte
    My dying soule tormente
And prisoner to myne owne mishaps
    My follyes I repente [20]
My hart is but the haunte
    Where all dislikes do keepe
And who can blame so lost a wretche
    Though teares of blood he weepe.

Notes


[l4] caytif: Expressing commiseration: A wretched miserable person, a poor wretch, one in a piteous case. Obsolete. a1616   Shakespeare Othello (1622) iv. i. 108   Alas poore Catiue

[l11] lazar: A poor and diseased person, usually one afflicted with a loathsome disease; esp. a leper.1577–87   R. Holinshed Chron. III. 1082/2   They prouided for the lazer to keepe him out of the citie from clapping of dishes, and ringing of bels.

[l12] pynde: pind - To imprison, confine;To enclose or pen (an animal or bird);

[l22] keepe: To reside, dwell, live, lodge. (Frequently in literary use from c1580 to 1650; now only colloq., esp. at Cambridge University and in U.S.). 1601   P. Holland tr. Pliny Hist. World I. 127   Among the mountaines of this tract, the Pygmæans, by report do keepe.

No comments:

Post a Comment