Wednesday, November 28, 2018

SAINT PETERS Complaynt - by Robert Southwell: 145-180/792

Their surges, depthes, and seas, unfirme by kinde, [145]
Rough gusts, and distance both from ship and shoare,
Were titles to excuse my staggering minde,
Stout feete might falter on that liquid floare.
But here, no seas, no blastes, no billowes were,
A puff of woman's winde bred all my feare. [150]

O coward troupes, far better arm'd than harted,
Whom angry words, whom blowes could not prouoke,
Whom though I taught how sore my weapon smarted,
Yet none repaide me with a wounding stroke.
Oh no: that stroke could but one moitie kill, [155]
I was reserv'd both halfes at once to spill.

Ah, whether was forgotten love exilde?
Where did the truth of pledged promise sleepe?
What in my thoughts begat this ougly child,
That could through rented soule thus fiercely creepe? [160]
O viper, feare their death by whom thou livest,
All good thy ruynes wrecke, all evels thou givest.

Threats threw me not, torments I none assayde:
My fray, with shades: conceits dyd make me yeeld,
Wounding my thoughts with feares: selfely dismayd, [165]
I neyther fought nor lost, I gave the field;
Infamous foyle: a Maidens easie breath
Dyd blow me downe, and blast my soul to death.

Titles I make untruths, am I a rocke,
That with so softe a gale was over-throwne? [170]
Am I fit Pastor for the faithfull flocke,
To guide theyr soules, that murdered thus mine owne?
A rock of ruine, not a rest to stay,
A Pastor, not to feed, but to betray.

Fidelitie was flowne, when feare was hatched, [175]
Incompatible brood in vertue's nest:
Courage can lesse with cowardise be match'd,
Prowesse nor love lodg,d in divided brest;
O Adam's child, cast by a sillie Eve.
Heyre to that Fathers toyles / foyles, and born to greeve. [180]

Notes

[l150] A puff of woman's winde: a reference to Peter's denial when questioned by a maidservant:
[69] But Peter sat without in the court: and there came to him a servant maid, saying: Thou also wast with Jesus the Galilean. [70] But he denied before them all, saying: I know not what thou sayest. [71] And as he went out of the gate, another maid saw him, and she saith to them that were there: This man also was with Jesus of Nazareth. [72] And again he denied with an oath, I know not the man. [Matthew 26]
In the particular historical context, the maidservant may represent the 'virgin' queen Elizabeth. Many Catholics, questioned by her agents about their faith, would also fall into denial and betrayal, through fear of the reprisals.

[ll151-156]: A reference to Peter's use of a sword in an initial attempt to prevent Our Lord from being arrested by his enemies:
[51] And behold one of them that were with Jesus, stretching forth his hand, drew out his sword: and striking the servant of the high priest, cut off his ear. [52] Then Jesus saith to him: Put up again thy sword into its place: for all that take the sword shall perish with the sword.
[l155] moitie: a half. 1592   T. Kyd Spanish Trag. ii. sig. D   She is daughter and halfe heire, Vnto our brother heere Don Ciprian, And shall enioy the moitie of his land.

[l157] whether: whither.

[l160] rented: to rent. To rend, tear, pull apart or to pieces (a person or thing).

[ll161-2]: There are classical and medieval references to the birth of vipers. For example, the viper is so called because it gives birth by force (vi-pariat). When the viper is near to giving birth, her young do not wait for the loosening of nature but bite through her sides and burst out, killing their mother.
Isidore of Seville [7th century CE] (Etymologies, Book 12, 4:10-11). 'Viper': Latin vīpera viper, snake, serpent, contracted < vīvi-pera , < vīvus alive, living, and parĕre to bring forth.

[l164] My fray, with shades: The only battle I fought (and lost) was against a) the dark shadows of fear; and/or b) shadows: shade: An unsubstantial image of something real; an unreal appearance; something that has only a fleeting existence. c1580   Sir P. Sidney tr. Psalmes David xxxix. iv   They are but shades, not true things where we live.

[l179] sillie: That provokes sympathy or compassion; that is to be pitied; unfortunate, wretched.


No comments:

Post a Comment